[Pycon] [new paper] "Paris Kasidiaris" - Building an IDE for Django in Django

info a pycon.it info a pycon.it
Dom 7 Gen 2018 22:23:04 CET

Title: Building an IDE for Django in Django
Duration: 45 (includes Q&A)
Q&A Session: 15
Language: en
Type: Talk

Abstract: Django is an amazing framework that we love using for building amazing server-side back-ends for websites and APIs that work with the traditional HTTP request-response cycle.

What happens though when we use Django to build a real-time application with a rich JavaScript client? And more particularly what happens when we use Django to build an complete Integrated Development Environment that works completely in the browser?

Building such a web application with Django introduces some amazing technological challenges that are almost completely new to the Django world, like handling

1. WebSocket connections to provide a client-side terminal
2. File System and Git operations over HTTP
3. File System events to keep the client in sync with the state of the server in real time
4. Security in a multi-tenant development environment
5. Managing the lifecycle of processes as Docker containers

SourceLair (https://sourcelair.com) is an IDE for building Django applications in your browser, which itself is built in Django and has faced all the above challenges.

This talk is about how Django does such an amazing job at handling all these unconventional technological challenges.

Tags: [u'django-rest-framework', u'environment', u'development', u'IDE']