[Python] [OT]: Laziness and co. [ERA]: Re: Range e float

Nicola Larosa nico a tekNico.net
Mer 10 Set 2014 12:56:56 CEST

Carlos Catucci wrote:
> [Larry Wall] e' amico caro di uno dei miei fari illuminanti: Eric
> Raymond.

E se non fosse stato "amico caro" che avrebbe detto? :-)

"At that time, I had used Perl for a number of small projects. I'd found
it quite powerful, even if the syntax and some other aspects of the
language seemed rather ad hoc and prone to bite one if not used with care."

[...]

"Writing these programs left me progressively less satisfied with Perl.
Larger project size seemed to magnify some of Perl's annoyances into
serious, continuing problems. The syntax that had seemed merely eccentric
at a hundred lines began to seem like a nigh-impenetrable hedge of thorns
at a thousand. “More than one way to do it” lent flavor and
expressiveness at a small scale, but made it significantly harder to
maintain consistent style across a wider code base. And many of the
features that were later patched into Perl to address the
complexity-control needs of bigger programs (objects, lexical scoping,
“use strict”, etc.) had a fragile, jerry-rigged feel about them."

"These problems combined to make large volumes of Perl code seem
unreasonably difficult to read and grasp as a whole after only a few
days' absence. Also, I found I was spending more and more time wrestling
with artifacts of the language rather than my application problems. And,
most damning of all, the resulting code was ugly—this matters. Ugly
programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to
collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially
engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to
process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write
elegant code makes it hard to write good code."

[...]

"The thought of implementing this in Perl did not thrill me. I had seen
GUI code in Perl, and it was a spiky mixture of Perl and Tcl that looked
even uglier than my own pure-Perl code."

Why Python? - Eric Raymond
<http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3882>

--
Nicola 'tekNico' Larosa <http://www.tekNico.net/>

Any fool can write code that a computer can understand.
Good programmers write code that humans can understand.
 - Martin Fowler, 1999