[Python] [ANN] BPT (Boxed Package Tool) 0.3
giuott a gmail.com
Gio 7 Maggio 2009 02:39:32 CEST
I am happy to announce BPT 0.3
This release solves some important bugs, and the documentation has
- Improved documentation
- Fixed a bug that prevented the ``env`` script to be ``source``\'d
(Works only with bash >= 3.0)
- Fixed a bug in the creation of symlinks that broken relocatability.
- ``env`` script does no more rely on GNU's ``readlink``, that is not
present in vanilla OSX
- Other minor fixes
What is BPT
BPT is a Python library (``bpt``) and a command line application
(``box``) to create and manage isolated enviroments, or *boxes*.
- Boxes are *relocatable*, which means that they can be moved to a
different directory or even distributed to other machines (provided
that the architecture is compatible).
- Packages inside the box can be easily disabled, enabled and removed,
so that different versions of the same software can be installed
simultaneously, allowing to switch between them.
- Boxes can be *nested*, in the sense that it is possible to activate
a box environment while inside another box environment, so that all
the packages installed in both boxes are available, and so on.
BPT is similar in some ways to `virtualenv
<http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv>`_, but it is not restricted
to Python packages, allowing to install virtually any Unix
software. It also takes some ideas from `jhbuild
<http://live.gnome.org/Jhbuild>`_, but without the dependency
resolution and automatic downloading machinery, and the ``bpt-rules``
format is inspired by `Gentoo <http://www.gentoo.org/>`_'s ebuilds.
Maggiori informazioni sulla lista