[Python] Garbage collection and OS

Nicola Larosa nico a teknico.net
Sab 12 Apr 2008 08:47:09 CEST

raffaello wrote:
> Is it true that when an object is destroyed in a Python application
> the garbage collector does NOT give back the occupied memory to the
> Operating System as long as the application is running, but keeps it
> at the disposal of the same application?

[Switching to Italian language :-) ]

Era vero fino alla versione 2.4 dell'interprete; dalla 2.5 la memoria non
pił usata viene effettivamente restituita al sistema operativo.

http://evanjones.ca/python-memory-part3.html

--
Nicola Larosa - http://www.tekNico.net/

The Chinese built the Great Wall early in our civilization not to
keep the Mongol hordes out, but to keep the newly enslaved and
dubious peasants, the pawns of the new civilization, in. To keep
them from Just Walking Away. - Dave Pollard, December 2007