[Python] Garbage collection and OS

enrico franchi enrico.franchi a gmail.com
Ven 11 Apr 2008 18:27:48 CEST

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 4:38 PM, raffaello <barbarossa.platz a gmail.com> wrote:

>  Is it true that when an object is destroyed in a Python application
> the garbage collector does NOT give back the occupied memory to the
> Operating System as long as the application is running, but keeps it at the
> disposal of the same application?

1. Since this is an italian mailing list, Italian or Python should be
preferred (writing prose in Python is quite hard, though).
2. It is not true that the behaviour you described is part of
*Python*. However, as far as I know this was (and may be as well) the
behaviour of the interpreter. This is a reasonable behaviour.

--
-enrico